The main goal of this group to ensure that reliable data and information is available to inform conservation, sustainable natural resource management and development decisions toward increased protection of biodiversity and improved socio-economic conditions for communities.
Policy Gap Analysis for Research
A national biodiversity data bank is important for guiding decisions on the mitigation hierarchy (MH).
Accordingly, the national data bank should be strengthened to be able to package usable information for NNL/NG assessments. The data should be geo-referenced in order to map biodiversity occurrence, including sites of highly irreplaceable and threatened species or ecosystems. High vulnerability (e.g., critically endangered or endangered status of species on the IUCN Red List) means higher risk that impacts on this biodiversity that may not be possible to offset and so, in such instances, impacts should be avoided and minimized in accordance with the mitigation hierarchy (MH).
Policy Level Actions for Research
- Prioritize, fund and utilize research as a part of development decisions
- Develop a set of agreed-upon questions and guidelines for research in various sectors
- Create a mechanism for consolidating relevant data and information at the national level
- Create a requirement for linking research to decision-making e.g. consult with biologists before planning road corridors, create a requirement for underpasses on roads in Key Habitat Areas (KHAs)
- Improve the capacity of agencies to carry out research and utilize data and information effectively.
Multi-Sectoral Actions—NGOs and development partners should provide the following support to government:
- Identify research needs and management questions of key constituencies.
- Local governments
- Central governments
- Private sector e.g. oil and gas industries
- Development partners
- Identify capacity and development needs of the identified constituencies
- Strengthen collaborative research with other institutions
- Create awareness about the research already done, as well as the gaps
- Inventory the research done: Uganda National Council of Science and Technology (UNCST), universities, NEMA
- Engagement with data users
- Dialogue on research questions and priorities
- Set up a research committee to spearhead research agendas